Assisted Living Facilities Injury
Champaign Assisted Living Injury Attorney
The moment you discover that your loved one is suffering in an assisted living facility is devastating for anyone. You expected a professional elder care facility to provide adequate care to your vulnerable loved one, and you paid amply for those services. When elderly relatives are neglected and abused in their nursing homes, the results can be physically and emotionally catastrophic, and they can be costly for the whole family, as well. With the help of an experienced elder abuse attorney, you can hold the nursing home responsible for the abuse and mistreatment your loved one suffered. At Patel Law, P.Cwe are experienced in elder law and are ready to help you any time any day. Will help fight for your loved one’s right to care as well as compensation for their losses. You can call us today for a free consultation so we can assess the merits of your case.
Signs of Assisted Living Center Abuse and Neglect
Many cases of neglect and abuse in assisted living facilities go unnoticed because, in most cases, the victims are isolated from their loved ones. If your loved one is living in a nursing home, you may not be around to notice the symptoms or signs associated with neglect and abuse. Even if you visit your loved one regularly, the staff at the facility will do what they can to hide these symptoms. That is why whenever you visit a relative at an assisted living facility, you need to examine them carefully and ask them questions.
The symptoms and signs you should particularly look out for include:
- Marks on the body: Physical abuse normally leaves some marks on the body. Check the body of your loved one carefully for any new, unusual marks. If you see such marks, ask for an explanation from them and from nursing home staff. It could be a sign of sexual or physical abuse.
- Bedsores: Bedsores are common in patients who have mobility issues. For example, if a resident is always lying on one side with no one to roll them to the other side, they may develop bedsores (pressure ulcers). Bedsores are common in residents who are confined to wheelchairs, those who cannot adjust their bodies by themselves, and those who are not bathed regularly. Bedsore can lead to pains and infections.
- Unpleasant odors: When you visit your loved one at the assisted living facility and you are met with a strong and repulsive odor, it is a clear indication they are not being cared for properly. It could mean their beddings/clothing are not changed when necessary or the facility itself is not well maintained. Uncared for wounds also cause a bad odor.
- Unexplained mood swings: When you visit your loved one and you notice a sudden change in their behavior, like being too cheerful, upbeat, withdrawn, depressed, quiet, or emotional, it could mean they are undergoing some form of abuse while you are away. The problem is, some facility employees physically or sexually abuse the residents and then warn them against reporting to their relatives or authorities. Unusual behavior might be the only means your elder loved one has of communicating to you that something is wrong.
- Frequent sickness: If you always receive calls that your loved one in an assisted living facility has fallen sick, it could mean they are not being cared for properly. They may be suffering from physical abuse or living in unsanitary conditions. It can also mean they are not well fed.
If you notice anything out of the ordinary in your loved one, be it a physical or behavioral change, seek an explanation from the nursing home facility’s administrators. If they do not seem to care, call Patel Law, P.C. We will take up the matter and conduct a thorough investigation to safeguard your rights and those of your loved one.
Patel Law, P.C. Can Help
If your loved one is a victim of abuse or mistreatment in an assisted living facility, you need to take legal action right away to ensure it does not continue. Patel Law, P.C. can help with this process. Our experienced elder abuse attorneys will help with all the steps from the beginning to the end. We will investigate the situation and help you file your claim. Even if the matter goes to court, in the event the facility wants to defend itself, we will fight for you and your loved ones to receive justice.
Call or Contact Our Office Now
Is your loved one being abused or mistreated in an assisted living facility in the Champaign area? Whether you have a piece of evidence or you merely suspect that something is wrong, you need the help of our experienced attorneys. Contact us or call the office right now. We will schedule a free case evaluation to discuss your legal options.