Decatur, Illinois Truck Accidents Lawyer
With just a quick glance at the monstrous semis speeding down Interstate 72, US Route 51, and other highways around Central Illinois, you know that truck accidents cause significant devastation. Unfortunately, the risk of commercial vehicle crashes is high. According to the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA), there are 7,200 collisions involving semis, 18-wheelers, tractor-trailers, and other commercial vehicles in Illinois annually. More than 150 people are killed and another 4,000 suffer injuries, leading to life-changing consequences.
It may come as some comfort to know that you have legal remedies after suffering devastating harm in a truck crash. Because the process is fraught with challenges, it is wise to retain a Decatur, Illinois truck accident lawyer for assistance. You can rely on Patel Law, PC for skilled legal support, so please contact us to schedule a free case assessment. Some information about the basics is also useful.
Potential Parties in Truck Accident Claims
These crashes occur because of negligence, which refers to the failure to operate the vehicle safely and not create a risk of harm to others. Considering the two separate components of a tractor-trailer, the cargo being hauled, and the nature of the trucking industry, there is a wide range of tragedies that can occur in the presence of negligence by different parties. For instance:
- A truck operator might speed, run red lights, fail to comply with Hours of Service (HOS) regulations, or drive while under the influence of alcohol or drugs.
- A trucking company could be careless with maintaining, inspecting, and making repairs to its fleet.
- The company that loaded the cargo might not secure it properly, causing shifting, imbalance, and falling debris.
- The truck driver’s employer might fail to exercise reasonable precautions with hiring, training, and licensing drivers.
- There are countless parts on a commercial vehicle, and any of them could cause severe truck accidents if the manufacturer produced a defective product.
Challenges With the Legal Process
In a successful truck accident case, you may qualify to recover amounts for medical costs, lost wages, pain and suffering, and emotional anguish. Still, there can be significant hurdles to obtaining fair compensation. Our Decatur, Illinois truck accidents attorneys are prepared to overcome such challenges as:
- Pursuing multiple potential parties mentioned above;
- Dealing with insurance companies, which are looking out for their own interests and extremely stingy in negotiating a settlement; and,
- Addressing allegations of careless acts by you, which could reduce your compensation.
If the insurance company refuses to pay sufficient compensation, we will take your case to court. Patel Law, PC has extensive experience with litigation, so we are ready to provide the necessary support.
Set Up a Consultation With a Decatur, Illinois Truck Accidents Lawyer Today
As you can see, claims involving 18-wheeler crashes incorporate pitfalls that can have a significant impact on your interests. To ensure you receive the compensation you deserve, legal representation is critical. Our team at Patel Law, PC is ready to fight for your rights, so please contact us today to set up a complimentary case review with an Illinois truck accident attorney.