Decatur, Illinois Hit and Run Accidents Attorney
Illinois law requires drivers to exchange information and render assistance after a traffic crash, and there can be penalties when they fail to honor this legal obligation. Unfortunately, statistics on hit-and-run accidents indicate that many US motorists break the law. According to the AAA Foundation for Traffic Safety, there are more than 737,000 collisions every year where an involved driver left the scene. More than 2,000 people are killed and thousands injured in hit-and-runs, leading to extreme losses.
Your situation might seem grim if another motorist fled after a vehicle collision, but there are strategies for finding that person and holding him or her accountable. Our team at Patel Law, PC has access to resources and tactics for protecting your rights, so please contact us to set up a no-cost consultation with a Decatur, Illinois hit and run accident attorney. Some background information about the applicable laws is also helpful.
Statistics on Hit and Run Accidents
A hit and run is any collision where the driver did not stop, provide assistance, or report the crash. The most unfortunate impact of these accidents is that medical care for the victim is delayed, worsening injuries and possibly leading to death. Based on the AAA figures, a motorist illegally leaves the scene of a crash every 43 seconds. Plus:
- Hit and runs are responsible for one in five pedestrian accident fatalities.
- Almost 70 percent of all deaths from hit-and-run collisions are people on foot and bicycle riders.
- In sum, hit-and-run accidents are linked to five percent of all motor vehicle crash deaths.
- There has been a 60 percent increase in the number of deaths from hit-and-runs since 2009.
Strategies in Hit and Run Crash Claims
In most car accident cases, you must prove that the at-fault motorist caused the collision through a breach of the duty to drive safely. When the motorist flees the scene, the added challenge is identifying that person. With help from a Decatur, Illinois, hit-and-run accidents lawyer at Patel Law, PC, it may be possible to locate the driver. For instance:
- Surveillance cameras from businesses in the area might have footage of the crash.
- There might be witnesses who observed the hit-and-run and possibly got license plate information.
- Partial plates and a basic description of the vehicle could enable the identification of the driver through Illinois government resources.
Upon identifying the at-fault motorist, you can proceed to file an insurance claim or pursue a lawsuit in court. Damages in these cases include medical costs, lost wages, pain and suffering, and many more.
Trust a Decatur, Illinois Hit and Run Accidents Attorney for Legal Support
While it is reassuring to know that there are strategies for pursuing a driver who fled the scene, you can see why it is essential to get legal help with the process. For more information about your rights, please contact Patel Law, PC. We can schedule a free case review with an Illinois hit-and-run accident lawyer who can provide additional advice.