Danville, Illinois Internet Crimes Lawyer
Cases involving internet crimes are complicated for two key reasons, and the first is that there is a broad range of misconduct that is considered breaking the law. The second involves tools, as almost any electronic device, telecommunications network, and online platform could be used to further a criminal offense. Considering these two factors and many others that affect internet crime cases, a conviction could mean significant jail time, fines, and other penalties.
Therefore, you should make it a priority to retain skilled legal counsel for assistance with fighting internet crimes. Officials often engage in misconduct in investigating these cases, so Patel Law, PC will pursue all possible defenses and other strategies for resolving the charges. Please contact our firm today to set up a confidential consultation with a Danville, Illinois internet crimes lawyer who can explain how the laws work. You can also read on for an overview of our services for criminal defense.
Description of Internet Crimes
The laws criminalize the act of using a computer, cell phone, or other electronic device to access the internet for purposes of committing an offense. As such, the underlying crime is one aspect of the case, and you will most certainly face charges for the end result. However, it is the combination of the computer and access to the network that constitutes an internet crime. Officials have classified these offenses into multiple categories:
- Viruses and malware, in which someone disrupts coding or security weaknesses to interfere with a system, computer, or network;
- Identity theft, such as when a person takes personal information and uses it to gain a financial benefit;
- Hacking, stealing passwords, and other unlawful access into a private network; and,
- Phishing, where a person sends fake emails or presents bogus ads to get the recipient to click.
How We Support Your Defense
Because the range of offenses and potential charges vary widely, the punishment also varies. A misdemeanor conviction is punishable by up to one year in jail, while serious felony charges could mean years in prison and thousands of dollars in fines. Patel Law, PC will employ all possible strategies for fighting the charges, so trust a Danville, Illinois internet crimes attorney for help with:
- Contesting the prosecutor’s evidence;
- Filing motions to dismiss, especially if you were subjected to an unlawful search and seizure or other police misconduct;
- Presenting defenses based upon lack of intent or knowledge, entrapment, mistake, and others;
- Assisting at trial with opening and closing arguments, cross-examination, and presentation of witnesses and exhibits in your favor; and,
- Representation at a sentencing hearing.
Set Up a Consultation with a Danville, Illinois Internet Crimes Lawyer Today
From this overview, you can see how retaining experienced legal representation is crucial when you must take advantage of all defense opportunities. You can count on Patel Law, PC to develop a solid strategy, so please contact our firm to schedule a consultation. After reviewing the details of your case, an Illinois internet crimes attorney can provide personalized advice on your options.