Decatur Auto Accident
Decatur Auto Accident Attorney
Car accidents occur on a daily basis. In Illinois in 2017, there were 311,679 crashes involving motor vehicles. 1% of these accidents were fatal.
Auto accidents happen far too often. The main factor involved in these crashes is often negligence. People tend to multitask and not pay attention to the road. They may be texting, talking on the phone, reading, eating, applying makeup, tending to children or pets, or tuning the radio. Any time drivers take their eyes off the road—even for a second—they increase their risk of an accident.
Were you injured in an accident? Contact an auto crash attorney from Patel Law. We have more than 20 years of experience helping car accident victims recover compensation for their losses.
Causes of Auto Accidents
While distracted driving is the leading cause of car accidents, there are other ways in which car crashes can occur.
- Drunk driving. Motorists know better than to drive while intoxicated, but they still do—and they do it quite often. Drunk driving is still one of the top causes of auto accidents. Drunk drivers not only put themselves at risk, but others, as well. If you drink, do not drive.
- Speeding. Speeding is another common cause of car accidents. Many people like to drive fast, but going beyond the speed limit comes with consequences. The faster you go, the harder it is to handle your vehicle. You are likely to lose control, which can cause you to crash into another vehicle. Fast speeds also make it harder to stop in the event of an emergency.
- Aggressive driving. Some people drive recklessly, without regard for others on the roadway. They may drive fast, change lanes often, and tailgate other drivers. They may honk their horn and yell at other drivers.
- Bad weather. It is easy to drive in good weather, when the sun is out. However, good weather does not happen every day. When it rains, gets icy, or snows, you need to adjust your driving accordingly. You will need to slow down and be more cautious of your surroundings. Many motorists do not drive well in bad weather, and they end up crashing.
Car Accident Injuries
Car accidents can cause a wide range of injuries, ranging from minor to severe. They include the following:
- Whiplash. Whiplash is one of the most common car crash injuries. Whiplash can affect muscles, tendons, and ligaments. It occurs when the impact of a crash causes your body to move quickly. This can strain your body and cause significant pain.
- Head trauma. The impact from a collision can cause you to hit your hit on the dashboard, steering wheel or side window. Head trauma may be mild, like a concussion, or it can be severe and cause memory loss and emotional issues. An injury that affects the brain can impact the entire body.
- Broken bones. An auto accident can cause a person to suffer broken bones. Broken ribs are the most common, but broken legs, arms and shoulders can also occur. A crash puts pressure on your body and this can cause bones to break.
- Internal bleeding. A crash can cause you to bleed internally and you may not even know it. If you notice blood in your stool, low blood pressure, weakness, shortness of breath, stiff neck, confusion, and headache, then you may be suffering from internal bleeding. If you were involved in a serious accident, you should see a doctor right away, since internal bleeding can be serious if not treated promptly.
When to Get an Attorney for a Car Accident
You may wonder, “Should I get a lawyer for a car accident?” If you suffered serious injuries, then the answer is yes. In a minor crash, you may not suffer much. However, if you have broken bones, head trauma or other long-lasting injuries, you may incur significant medical expenses and lost wages. You may be in a lot of pain.
Some crashes result in settlements or awards exceeding hundreds of thousands or even millions of dollars. Do not lose out on this opportunity. If you have suffered significant damages, contact a car accident lawyer in Illinois today. The team at Patel Law is ready to help you.
Contact a Local Auto Accident Attorney Today
Driver negligence is the main cause of car accidents. Car crashes can range from minor to deadly. They can involve one, two or even dozens of vehicles. They can cause injuries that take months or years to heal.
If you are recovering from car accident injuries caused by someone else’s negligence, the car crash lawyers at Patel Law can help. We will assess your case and fight for your legal rights. Get the compensation you need to successfully recover. Schedule a free consultation today. Call our office at (217) 384-1111 or fill out the online form.