Urbana Bus Accident
Urbana Bus Accident Attorneys
Urbana Bus Accident – Buses provide an important alternative to cars for people looking to get to work or travel between cities. A bus is also a 40,000-pound vehicle, and if it collides with a car or passenger truck, the results can be catastrophic. Indeed, even a single-vehicle bus accident can seriously injure or even kill the passengers on the bus itself.
There are many potential causes of bus accidents. If the reason can be attributed to negligence, the victims have the right to seek compensation. Urbana bus accident lawyer Baku N. Patel and his team at Patel Law, PC, can provide representation to victims and their families in these situations. We will fight to ensure the parties responsible for a bus accident are held legally accountable.
What are Some Common Causes of Bus Accidents in Illinois?
There are many individuals involved with the operation of a bus, including the driver, the people who maintain the bus, and the company that owns the vehicle. Many bus accidents also involve multiple other vehicles, whose drivers may have played a significant role in causing a collision. Here at Patel Law, PC, these are just a few of the common causes of bus accidents that we have seen:
- Driver negligence – Like anyone who operates a motor vehicle, bus drivers must follow the basic rules of the road. Unfortunately, we know that is not always the case. Many Urbana bus accidents are the result of simple acts of driver negligence, such as failure to obey traffic laws or texting while driving.
- Driver fatigue – Federal and state laws regulate “common carriers,” which includes companies that operate passenger buses. Among other things, these laws limit the time a bus driver can spend behind the wheel in order to avoid fatigue. Some drivers and bus companies ignore these regulations, however, and this can lead to a driver literally falling asleep and the wheel and causing an accident.
- Improper safety standards – In some cases, bus companies do not just ignore the rules governing driver fatigue–they also fail to properly maintain their vehicles as required by law. Safety standards in the bus industry have never been as rigorously enforced as those in, say, the airline industry. And many common carriers simply choose to cut corners on safety in order to protect their own bottom line.
- Improper training – With some bus accidents, the problem may not be that the driver was negligent so much as that they were not properly trained. For example, the bus company may not have trained a driver on how to safely operate their vehicles in inclement weather. Or perhaps the driver did not know how to eliminate blind spots.
- Third-party negligence – Even if the bus itself is properly maintained, and the driver is alert and well-trained, there are obviously other vehicles on the road. If another driver causes an accident with the bus, they can be held liable for any injuries.
Why Should I Contact an Urbana Bus Accident Lawyer?
Whomever is at fault for a Urbana bus accident, Illinois law allows the victims to seek compensation for their injuries in court. Such compensation may cover medical bills, lost income, and pain and suffering. Even if the accident was the result of driver negligence, the victims can still pursue a personal injury claim against the bus owner, as it is normally liable for the acts of its employees.
It is also important to note that if the bus is operated by a state or municipal agency, then there are special procedures that victims need to follow in order to seek compensation. These procedures actually shorten the length of time to bring a claim. This is one reason why bus accident victims should seek immediate legal advice regarding their case.
The reality is that bus accidents are normally much more complex affairs, both from a factual and legal standpoint, than a regular car accident. It can take several months to conduct a proper investigation just to determine who is potentially liable for the victims’ injuries. Given the strict time limits to bring any sort of lawsuit in Illinois, it is critical to begin such an investigation as soon as possible.
If you, or a member of your family, has been devastated by a bus accident, contact Patel Law, PC today to schedule a free consultation. There is no obligation and no risk to you in speaking with a member of our team. Our only goal is to help you obtain the compensation you deserve.