Catastrophic Injury Lawyer in Illinois
Many people have been involved in accidents and suffered from catastrophic injuries in Illinois. What exactly is a catastrophic injury?
A catastrophic injury is defined as major trauma to the body. It often involves severe damage to the brain, skull, neck, spine, or spinal cord. Catastrophic injuries may also include amputation to the arms, legs, feet ,or hands. They may also involve birth injuries, paralysis, crushed bones, punctured organs, loss of hearing or sight, nerve damage, neurological issues, severe emotional or mental impairment, chronic pain, scarring, and disfigurement
These injuries cause significant issues, such as loss of mobility and the inability to speak or show emotions. Since the brain controls the entire body, damage to it can negatively affect a person for many years or even the rest of their lives. It is not uncommon for a catastrophic injury to eventually lead to death.
A person’s life may never be the same after a catastrophic injury. They may no longer be able to enjoy their favorite hobbies and activities. They may not be able to work and earn income to support their families. They may not even be able to perform daily activities such as getting dressed, grooming, and bathing.
As you can see, these injuries can be life-changing. They may require around-the-clock care. This can be challenging for the victim’s family. It can also be stressful and expensive. If your loved one’s injury was caused by a negligent third party, make sure you understand your legal rights. Contact a catastrophic accident attorney from Patel Law to handle your case and obtain the compensation you deserve. We have more than 20 years of experience helping victims who have suffered major trauma, and we can help you as well.
Causes of Catastrophic Injuries
How do these injuries occur? Here are some common scenarios:
- Motor vehicle accidents. Pedestrians and bicyclists hit by motor vehicles can suffer catastrophic injuries, since they have nothing to protect them. A passenger vehicle hit by a semi truck can also suffer serious injuries, such as broken bones, head trauma, neck injuries, and internal bleeding.
- Sports accidents. Contact sports can lead to catastrophic injuries, especially if the players are unsupervised or wearing little or no protection. Football and cheerleading are the two sports that have the most injuries, but spine trauma is also common in sports such as gymnastics, skiing, diving, wrestling, and ice hockey.
- Trampoline accidents. While trampolines can be fun, many children (and adults) have suffered serious injuries to their head, back, and neck by falling off of them.
- Horseback riding accidents. Many people enjoy riding horses, but they can be unpredictable. When riders fall off, they can be stepped on by the horse, which can lead to a broken neck, broken back, head trauma, and paralysis.
- Medical malpractice. Medical malpractice is the third-leading cause of death in the United States, and thousands more suffer catastrophic injuries. Doctors are supposed to keep patients healthy, but many cause injuries. Birth injuries may involve shoulder injuries and even cerebral palsy. Surgical errors are also common. Doctors may perform an operation on the wrong organ or body part, causing a patient to suffer a worsened condition.
- Falls. Any type of fall can cause serious injuries, and construction workers as well as the elderly face the highest risk. The higher the person’s elevation at the time of the fall, the more severe the injuries.
- Fires. Fire can lead to burns and other serious injuries. Many victims suffer scarring and disfigurement, which may never heal without extensive treatment.
- Defective products. We expect that the products we use on a daily basis are safe when used as intended. However, sometimes defects occur or manufacturers never create safe products in the first place. A defective product, such as a malfunctioning vehicle or appliance, can cause serious injuries and even death.
- Violent crime. You hear about crime every day, and in many cases, victims are severely hurt or killed. You may not know what if you or a loved one is hurt in a violent crime, you can file a civil lawsuit against the perpetrator. They can face criminal charges, as well, which is a separate process.
Contact a Catastrophic Personal Injury Lawyer in Illinois Today
Catastrophic injuries can occur in many different ways. If another person’s actions caused you to suffer long-term or permanent injuries, make sure you get the compensation you deserve.
Seek help from a Decatur catastrophic personal injury lawyer from Patel Law today. We have helped our clients obtain substantial awards for permanent injuries suffered from another person’s negligence. Schedule a consultation today. Call (217) 384-1111 or fill out the online form.